Friday, August 13, 2010

Snack for you & Friend for me.

Snack for you
Friend for me

I truly enjoy eating. As you can see from the roundness of my face, it is a true joy. That being said, Mr. S and I are trying (I'm trying my best, he is doing) to follow the abs diet by the editor of Men's Health, David Zinczenko. So, I am now truly banished from making and eating (just that combination) many a foods that have led to such a roundness in said face. But I love to cook and bake, what is a girl to do???

I make food for other people, take one small taste, and give it away. The small bite thing is a bummer, but making other people happy is a major plus, so it's kinda a win-win (according to my head, my stomach is another question).

I made this snack, Ultimate Snack Mix, for the secretaries at my new school. I wasn't necessarily trying to bribe them, but more butter them up, in both senses of the phrase. I found this recipe in the back of a Christmas Cookie magazine from 2007. I bought the magazine during my first year of teaching in Chicago when we were having a cookie exchange. I didn't know what to make, so I bought this in Jewel hoping to find inspiration. I went with an Ohio classic, the buckeye, but not without burning chocolate in my microwave first. Ever burnt chocolate in your microwave or anywhere for that matter? No? Well don't try it, it smells soooo bad and lingers for days. Anywho, I went through the magazine, pulled out the recipes that I liked and filed them away in the green book of magazine recipes. This one I tried subsequently after and have loved it ever since.



This tasty treat has lots of yummy carbs, golden raisins, worcestershire sauce, and garam masala! So good! Here's the recipe.

Ultimate Snack Mix: Fitness Magazine, Christmas Cookie 2007 (really?! Fitness magazine?!)

1.5 cups Rice Chex
1.5 cups Wheat Chex
1 cup pretzels, any shape
1 cup coarsely broken sesame rice crackers (instead I used Wasa crackers)
1 cup coarsely broken whole-wheat crackers
1/4 cup dry-roasted peanuts, lightly salted
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 1/4 tsp sugar
2 1/4 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup golden raisins

1. Heat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Combine the first 6 ingredients in one bowl. Combine all the remaining ingredients except raisins in another bowl.
3. Pour the wet mixture over the cereal mixture.
4. Coat a roasting pan with spray and lay the now coated mixture on the pan in a single layer.
5. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring twice.
6. Cool on a wire rack and stir in raisins.


So now you got a snack and I get a friend. This is my friend, Emily, and her boyfriend, Scott. Emily was a TA in my classroom this year and we have become fast friends. Emily is so very smart and kind and I have loved spending this year with her. She is leaving our great town to go to grad school in St. Louis, so one day she can be an audiologist and better yet, Dr. Love. She is a lifer in my book and while it makes me sad that she is leaving, I know we have developed the kind of friendship that will last over distance, lost time, and phone calls. Best of luck and I will miss you my dear friend.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE IT WHEN YOU POST ON HERE. That snack mix is a must try...I'll let you know how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete