Sunday, September 12, 2010

Three things I think are cool.

1. I think my banana-blueberry muffins are cool.

I found these muffins on tastespotting from a blog called Sweet Tooth. She said that these muffins "might actually make an appropriate and semi-healthy breakfast". The thoughts that went through my brain were, "I like to bake, I like to eat, but I'm on a diet. These may fit meet all the following criteria and still satisfy my belly." So off to the store I  and my students went (As a sidenote, I teach high school students with moderate to severe disabilities and we go into the community. Why not purchase some of your own items while these guys do the same? It only seems fair).

These have bananas and blueberries, whole-wheat flour, wheat germ (or flax seed), and all these other good for you things. The muffins are dense enough to last you through the morning, but still cakey so you'll actually want to eat it. The banana flavor was a bit pronounced, but I didn't mind that. I think they brought a nice amount of moistness to the muffin, that otherwise would have been missed. I also liked that they had a little bit of all purpose flour in them because sometimes too much whole wheat flour leaves your food feeling crumbly and dry. Overall these are winners and my whole family liked them :)

Her recipe says it makes 12, but I squeezed out 18, but from looking at her photos I think I skimped on filling the muffin tins. Oh well! It made for even distribution amongst the sibs, as they are the only ones who can regularly eat carbs.

Hit up Sweet Tooth for the recipe and note that I didn't have my wheat germ with me, so I used ground flax seed (I was at the 'rents house). They still had a heartiness and nice fiber content. So make these and start your day off right with a "semi-healthy" breakfast.


2. I think these cards are cool.
I went to Michael's yesterday because Mr. S wanted to play Madden at Best Buy. I asked to be dropped off, so I could meander through a craft store. Luckily, I had enough time to make it all the way to the $1 bins. I found these funny cards and bought several packs, but much to my surprise they are half-off! So, I bought 7 packs of 8 cards for $3.50. That was a bargain and these are hilarious. 
  
3. I think my cat is cool.
Those of you cat-haters out there need not apply because my cat is cool. She is funny looking, fluffy, and so adorable. She loves spring and fall because we can leave the door open and there is no worries of air conditioning or heat. This is her, enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. If Mike every grew his beard all the way, picture like the one of 'sauce above would be indistinguishable from ones of Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HEART THOSE CARDS in a terrible way. I think that Michaels may be added to my afternoon errands today in the hopes that I might discover some for me too! GREAT post, J, it makes me happy to read all about your business!!!

    ReplyDelete